Friday, October 29, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie - Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

The recipe for this week was Marie-Helene's Apple Cake. Now, I have a confession to make. I am not the biggest fan of cooked fruit. My family makes fun of me all the time for this. For some reason, I just never really get excited about it. However, that does not mean that I won't try it, so I was game to make this apple cake.


I made half the recipe and used my 4.5 in springform pan. Even with my terrible apple-peeling skills, I think I had a higher ratio of apples to batter, because the cake was almost ALL apples, and had apples sticking out of the top, not a flat crust on top like the picture. It didn't matter though, because everything ended up cooking fine. Even with my weird cooked fruit phobia, I thought this cake was really good! The rum flavor was really strong as well (which I did not think was bad). It worked great as a quick after-dinner dessert!

Next Week: Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake