Friday, October 22, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie - Hachis Parmentier

The recipe for this week was Hachis Parmentier, the French shepherd's pie! I thought this was great, and it also warmed up well for lunch the next day. I don't think I've ever had this dish before (at least not in this form)... I went to England in high school, but I don't quite remember anything like that. However, I don't think I could remember everything I had to eat then. It was a fun trip, though!

Enough about that, onto the hachis parmentier! I made the full recipe, and made the beef broth the day before. It did enjoy making the beef broth. As Dorie suggested, I used cube steak, which I found pre-sliced into small pieces and ready to go. After I made the broth, I did eat the veggies and onion as a snack... yeah, sad. They were really good! The cube steak did reduce a bit, but after adding the sausage it wasn't too bad. I think the total amount ended up to be about 1/3 meat to 2/3 mashed potatoes... rather then 1/2 and 1/2. The mashed potatoes were delicious though, so it was no problem. Overall, I really enjoyed this dish. I would like to make it again, but I think I would make the quick version instead, just to save time for a weekday meal. If you are a meat and potatoes person, (and of course I am!) I recommend this!

Next Week: Marie-Helene's Apple Cake